You can buy Pie and Mash and store in the freezer. Or maybe you want to make it yourself? This recipe uses a mixture of cut up leftover roast beef and vegetables, i.e. peas or carrots.
Cover with puff pastry and bake in 350 degree oven for about 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown.
Serve with mashed potatoes on the side.
Eel Pie and Mash:
This is a variation of Pie and Mash. A mixture of eel cut up in half-inch chunks and boiled with salt, lemon, pimentos and shallots.
Cover with puff pastry and continue as above. Also served with mashed potatoes on the side. Authentically served with a so-called green liquor, which is made of potato juice, fresh parsley and seasoning to taste.
Liquor (Parsley Sauce):
Chopped Parsley, butter, flour and ¾ pint water.
Wash parsley. Melt ½ oz (10g) of butter in pan and stir in 1oz (25g) flour.
Remove from the heat and stir in the water. You can use milk or fish stock instead of water, if you prefer.
Faggots and Peas:
Pork pieces mixed with liver and kidney and onions, and seasoned with sage.
Serve with peas.
Flaky Pastry Crust - Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
A third of a cup shortening, plus 1 teaspoon shortening
2 to 2½ tablespoons ice water
1. Mix flour and salt together.
2. In medium bowl, with a pastry blender or sharp knife, cut shortening into flour until mixture resembles course cornmeal.
3. Quickly sprinkle ice water, one tablespoon at a time, over all of pastry mixture tossing lightly with a fork after each addition, and pushing dampened portion to the side of the bowl.
4. Sprinkle only dry portions remaining (pastry should be just moist enough to hold together, but not sticky.)
5. Shape pastry into a ball, wrap in wax paper and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
6. Flatten with palm of hand to achieve desired shape.